Global leaders and businesses pore over fallout of more US tariff swoons
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Governments and companies around the world scrambled Saturday to determine the impact of the U.S. Supreme Court ruling that struck down some of the Trump administration sweeping global tariffs.
The latest twist in the U.S. tariff roller coaster ride, launched when President Donald Trump returned to office 13 months ago and upended dozens of trading relationships with the world’s biggest economy, roiled trade officials from South Korea to South America and well beyond.
South Korea’s Trade Ministry called for an emergency meeting Saturday to understand the new landscape. Some specific exports to the U.S., like automobiles and steel, aren’t affected by the U.S. high court decision. Those that are affected will likely now be covered by a new 10% tariff imposed by an executive order Trump signed Friday. Trump announced Saturday morning that he would raise the tariff to 15%.
In Paris, French President Emmanuel Macron hailed the checks and balances in the United States, praising the “rule of law” during a visit to a Paris agricultural fair: “It’s a good thing to have powers and counter-powers in democracies. We should welcome that.”
But he cautioned against any triumphalism.
Officials were going over the language of bilateral or multilateral deals struck with the U.S. in recent months, even as they braced for new swings. Trump said Friday he plans new 10% global tariffs, under different rules.
“I note that President Trump, a few hours ago, said he had reworked some measures to introduce new tariffs, more limited ones, but applying to everyone,” Macron said. “So we’ll look closely at the exact consequences, what can be done, and we will adapt.”
Alluding to the new 10% tariff threat, Sergio Bermúdez, head of an industrial parks company in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, along the Texas border, said Trump “says a lot of things, and many of them aren’t true. All of the businesses I know are analyzing, trying to figure out how it’s going to affect them.”
The impact could be felt especially in Juarez: Much of its economy depends on factories producing goods to export to consumers in the U.S., the result of decades of free trade between the U.S. and Mexico.
The policy swoons in the United States over the last year have made many global business leaders cautious, as they struggle to forecast and see investment take a hit.
Economy Secretary Marcelo Ebrard on Friday said Mexico was watching the tariffs with a “cool head,” noting that 85% of Mexico’s exports face no tariff, largely because of the United States-Mexico-Canada agreement. He plans a trip to the U.S. to meet with economic officials next week.

Leave a Comment
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *